Liberty Hamlets Inc.
Axess Condominiums is a game-changing project in Pickering, Ontario that will set new standards for inclusive design in the residential market. The two-22-storey tower development capitalizes on a growing need for accessible housing in the Durham Region which has a waitlist of over 18,000 people.
The client, Liberty Hamlets Inc., has a background in working with young adults with disabilities and has envisioned a vibrant new community that seamlessly integrates design strategies for people living with cognitive and physical disabilities, young families, and those aging in place.
Human Space has been involved in design consultations from the earliest stages of project planning, working closely with the architectural and interior design team for a seamlessly integrated design process.
Its many features include the following:
- 100% of the suites are barrier-free at a minimum. An additional 15% of the suites have been designed to a higher standard for accessibility called Axess Plus;
- An area of refuge (with daylight access) is provided on every floor that serves as community space in non-emergencies;
- A ground floor café teaches life and employment skills to young adults with cognitive disabilities;
- A second floor Enhanced Day Program provides day-to-day support for families and young adults living with cognitive disabilities;
- Lobby and amenity spaces are designed for community activities, and;
- A sensory garden and a service animal area provides outdoor space for residents and visitors.